Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Drive By



I don’t have to look
through the rear-view mirror to
know where my past is

###

Notes: Magpie Tales posted the above photograph (Lee Friedlander, from America by Car) as this week's prompt.  What added to the idea of this particular poem was another prompt provided by Imunuri, who said to write about, "...a place you loved as a child."  

This does not look at all like the neighborhood where I grew up, (N.E. Philadelphia, in case you might be wondering) but I liked the idea of NOT looking in the rear-view mirror.  Why?  Because I'll always know where I came from anyway, and I like the idea of that memory.

The form, obviously, is 5/7/5 Haiku.

11 comments:

  1. nice...this is evocative...not having to look backward to see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. deep. gives you something to think about. (but tell that to the driving tester when you chose not to adjust your rear view mirror because you don't have to) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very touching. I can really relate to this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, sister. Of course, remember Jurassic Park: "Objects in the mirror may be closer..." Yikes! Very nicely done, Randi. Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/lost-soul-sun-whirl/

    ReplyDelete