Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Choices


On the Pont de l’Europe by Gustave Caillebotte, public domain. Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Asked and Answered


“Which would you rather be if you had the choice--divinely beautiful or dazzlingly clever or angelically good?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

It is a question, I suppose.
Three choices: what to choose of those.
I don’t think I’ll reply too fast.
The implications might well last.

So, beautiful.  Would that I’d see
a thing divine.  Could that be me?
And clever.  Let me but contrast
the implications.  Might well last.

I think I’m good, ‘though angel-ish?
I doubt it.  Should that be my wish?
I fear I’m at a strong impasse.
Thus, I won’t choose just one, at last.

###

The form is Kyrielle.  The poem was inspired by the Wednesday Poetic Asides' prompt of 'At Last.'

No comments:

Post a Comment