Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Acutezza

I just learned a new word today, courtesy of Changing Minds.org.  It's 'acutezza' and it means the use of wit or wordplay.  I think it just might be my new favorite word!

There's a whole lot of very cool figures of speech on that page, actually.  

Like, f'r instance, 'Dogberryism' (which sounds very Dilbert-ish, doesn't it?  It means the same thing as malapropism, which means replacing a word with one that sounds similar, but is generally just wrong!)

I also found 'aureation' (the use of fancy words) and 'glossolalia' (fabricated, meaningless speech) which are just wonderful, dontcha think?!

Well, that's it, except...to everyone, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

(How's that for a bit of 'paraprosdokia' with regard to today's post???)


No comments:

Post a Comment