Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cleaning the Closet and the Inseparable Pairings

If I sound a little loopy today, it's because I had little sleep last night due to my daughter's birthday party/slumber party.  Pardonnez-moi in advance.

Zzzzzzz...Wha?!...Oh yeah.

Anyway, The March Challenge prompt is on the subject of cleaning one's closets.  Writer's Island's prompt is 'inseparable.'  I wrote the Writer's Island prompt this AM (quatrains and couplets) but The March Challenge poem (a pantoum) was written a few years ago, and first appeared in Sol Magazine and then later, in my book Mugging for the Camera.  It just seemed kind of apropos.

Image courtesy of Noturno e Celeste


Joined at the Hip

If split up, the damage could be irreparable.
These things are completely and wholly inseparable…

burger & fries,
chips & fish,
cup & saucer,
spoon & dish,

bacon & eggs,
sugar & spice,
bread & butter,
naughty & nice,

peas & carrots,
cookies & cream,
salt & pepper,
balance & beam,

knife & fork,
pb & j,
salsa & chips,
night & day,

spaghetti & meatballs,
crackers & cheese,
paper & pencil,
thank you & please,

summer & winter,
spring & fall,
Yogi & BooBoo,
bat & ball.

The pairs above are kind of ‘joined at the hip.’
Just keep ‘em together – that is my best tip.

###

Image courtesy of Celebrity News

Closet Avoidance

I am going to clean out my closet.
Who knows what strange things I might find?
Perhaps in a trunk, I'll find a lost sock
or a book or a hint of the past.  Who knows?  Certainly not I.

Who knows what strange things I might find?
I'm fearful I might turn up a ghost (in a matter of speaking)
or a book or a hint of the past.  Who knows?  Certainly not I.
I'm a serial packrat and an unrepentant procrastinator; my family is baffled.

I'm fearful I might turn up a ghost (in a matter of speaking.)
Maybe I really should put the whole thing off - for now.
I'm a serial packrat and an unrepentant procrastinator; my family is baffled.
I am going to clean out my closet.

Maybe tomorrow.

###

14 comments:

  1. RJ, you never cease to amaze me with your skill of form. Both are excellent.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. pb & j ????

    I like your pantoum, a particularly irritating form to write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two wonderful treats! thanks.

    Meryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! i too am a packrat, enjoyed both the poems. simply splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. smart ones..
    I posted my writer's island entry too.

    cheers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a crazy few days and am just getting to these prompts and responses. I adore you inseparable piece. made me happy. simple as that... and I needed a bit of happy today. Here's my response:
    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/03/21/inseparable-divine/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Viv - peanut butter and jelly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jingle - thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim - thanks! And your poetry is divine!

    ReplyDelete