Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Strange Bedfellow

The Tempest: Prospero, Miranda and Ariel, 1976, Rosemarie Beck

Tempest Tossed

“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows. I will here shroud till the
dregs of the storm be past.” ~Shakespeare, The Tempest, Act II, Scene 2

Be careful of the too strong drink.
Beware the potent potable.
With just an innocent-like clink…?
Be careful of the too strong drink.
Strange bedfellows.  Nudge-nudge, wink-wink.
Potential here is notable:
Be careful of the too strong drink.
Beware the potent potable. 

###

Notes:  Yes, it's another Triolet.  For the merry month of May.  (And yes, that rhymes.)  But anyway...the poem was inspired by the prompt of 'strange bedfellows,' thoughtfully provided for by Sunday Scribblings. Take that, Mickey Finn!

11 comments:

  1. First, there is the reference to "Potent Potables," a famous old Jeopardy category back in the Art Fleming days (we used to call him Art Phlegm).... and the nudge-nudge, wink-wink, too funny. Goes perfectly with the Elizabethan scene and "the lusty month of May"! Peace, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! I'm so glad you got the references! I was just having a bit of fun with this one - and you GOT it! ♥

      Delete
    2. Honey, I get you... loud and clear! Was perusing "Mugging" again last night, just to give myself a head start on fun dreams, and it worked. Only the dream is probably a poem in itself! xoxo Amer

      Delete
  2. The triolet form lends itself beautifully to humour - and this one made me laugh! I do agree with the injunction - not that I am TT. A little goes a long way with me and I hate the effects when people have one or more too many drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viv - so true! As I mentioned above, I was just having a little bit of fun, but I totally agree with you on this one.

      Delete
  3. Hunkering down in the back of the cave is sometimes the best..until the storm has passed..or if you just can't resist the 'too strong drink'..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great and fun to read. Wink-wink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun to read, RJ! I so enjoy reading your blog that I’m nominating you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Some people prefer not to accept blog awards, and if you’re of that thinking, I hope that this nomination still brings new followers and friends to your blog.
    When you have a moment, pop over to http://miskcooks.com/2012/06/19/the-versatile-blogger-award/ for details of your nomination.

    ~Misky

    ReplyDelete