Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sonnet XX!!!

Photographic image courtesy of Miss_Robot
Today, Writer's Island gave the prompt of "Courage."

Yesterday, Poetic Asides posted an informative discussion on the subject of the poetic form, sonnet.

I decided to try and combine the two for my post today.

So, the first thing I did was Google  - sorry...I know, it's a banned, trite word, but necessary, nonetheless - 'Shakespearean sonnets about courage.' From the results, I chose one sonnet in particular (Sonnet XXIII) which I thought might work (with a bit of tweaking here and there) with a couple of quotes I found when I also Googled 'humorous courage quotes'.

Sonnet XX!!!

I'm not funny.  What I am is brave.  ~Lucille Ball

Read what my medal says: "Courage". Ain't it the truth? Ain't it the truth? ~The Cowardly Lion

As an unperfect actor on life’s stage,
I sometimes fear I’ve forgotten my part.,
Where is the green room?  Can I disengage
myself from the scene?  I need a kick start.
So I think of those things that I must say
even if difficult, to make it right.
And in that moment, my fears go away
and then I know I’ve conquered my stage fright.
The Cowardly Lion and Lucille Ball
each found courage with a word or a deed.
It’s not yet time for the last curtain call
so I have to 'just do it' to succeed.
   Even if nerve has departed, forsooth,         
   I can be courageous.  Ain’t it the truth.

###

15 comments:

  1. Great words with an important message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Great sonnet with a great message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - Elizabeth - I was just commenting on your most excellent poem, while you were here visiting with me! How nice!

    Thank you for the kind words! ☼

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely sonnet. May you always have the courage to deal with anything in life! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, how are you?
    Simply want to check out on you and offer you our greatest appreciation for your support to potluck poetry. You rock!

    Reminder: week 18 Theme: Languages, Signs and Symbols

    The more you share, the happier we are. Plan ahead and have your entry poem. We are open Sunday 8pm, American Central time, linking in early would benefit your work with more encouragements.

    Hope to see you on Sunday at: http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/

    Let me know via email if you have questions or doubts.

    Again, we treasure your participation and would be great to see you again on week 18.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scent of My Heart - thank you for your nice words - and for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucille Ball and the Cowardly Lion aside, you have more courage than I. I made a wide birth of the sonnet. You jumped in and did a really fine job and even left an important message to boot!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. RJ, an important message and done in the form I fear most "sonnets".
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Pamela and Elizabeth. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courage, something I need more of these days. Thanks for the quotes & encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terresa - judging by your writing, courage is something of which you're in abundant supply. Thanks for the kind words. ☼

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever. I like clever, and the final two lines were that and then some. Wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your words..nicely done thanks for sharing....I LOVE LUCY too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mark and Wayne - thanks so much! ☼

    ReplyDelete