Friday, January 21, 2011

A Hero - and a Shameless Plug

Graphic courtesy of True Pizza

Big Tent Poetry is all about food this week, which just happens to be one of my favorite subjects.  I decided to do a shameless plug for myself as well as post a food-related poem, so I am offering, for your epicurean delight, a true hero kind of poem.  Hero.  Get it?

Anyway...

...the following poem, along with other very 'cool beans' poems, (some of which are about food and some of which are are not) can be found in my book Mugging for the Camera.   It's a collection of quirky, oddball, humorous poems, as you probably guessed. And if you buy the book?  You will be my new favorite hero!

(It's available at Virtualbookworm.com, Amazon.com and other fine online bookshops.)

What's for Lunch?

Accents and idioms truly abound
in every state and every town.

One way to for one to manage to see
the spoken word discrepancy

is the local names we give for food.
Example?  A tube-shaped meal can include:

A sub - or the longer form, submarine
where meats and cheeses are often routine-

ly piled quite high between some bread slices,
sometimes with mayo, oil, vinegar and spices.

It can also be called a hoagie or even a grinder
and if you forget, here's another reminder

that some folks say po'boy and others say wedge
with tomato and lettuce sticking out from the edge

of the Italian or Cuban; they both taste soooo good,
along with the sarney or the famous Dagwood.

There's the bomber, the depth charge, the zep and baguette,
and I have a few more 'cause I'm not finished yet!

There's also the speidie from New York, Upstate,
you can savor the flavor - it always tastes great.

Just go to a deli and say that you need, oh...
a hamboat or roast beef foot-long torpedo!

In case you might wonder, this list's incomplete,
but it's made me quite hungry - so I think I'll go eat.

###

18 comments:

  1. RJ, it always a delight to read your poems. This made me smile and very hungry. I miss the hoagie from NY!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela - thanks! Love hoagies from Philly, New York and Jersey! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I've got the munchies (or whatever you call it where you live) in heroic proportions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! The words are amazingly selected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have lived in places where it's the sub, the hoagie, the grinder, the italian and the spiedie. so hard to keep track!! congrats on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Thanks for the fun verse! Very delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolee - thank you so much for your kind words and for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mad Kane - I've been a fan for a while, so that's very cool praise, indeed! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Traveling culinary delights...how fun is this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark - thanks for the epicure-ishly kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who knew reading poetry would make me so hungry?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun! There were a few new to me words!p

    ReplyDelete